Saturday, November 22, 2008

2 hours I'll never get back

We went to see Twilight this weekend. We were all excited to see it because we have spent so much time in the place where most of the outdoor scenes (including the baseball scene) were filmed. We also wanted to see if our friend made the cut as an extra.

I did not like the book. The whole time I was reading it I was thinking, "This writing is terrible. I like the story idea. But this writing really stinks. It could be a really great movie, though."

It could have been a really great movie. A different director would have made a big difference. And a different score. The only 2 good songs were written and performed by Rob Pattinson. The rest of the score was almost embarrassing, and did nothing to convey emotions. It was almost distracting in its grooviness.

Although Rob Pattinson was not the picture of Edward I had in my head from reading the book, I think he did an excellent job in the role. And I really appreciated the fact that in the scene where he plays the piano, he is actually playing the piano. It bugs me when someone is playing the piano in a movie, and nobody even bothered to teach him or her that you should at least pretend to be pressing keys when a note is sounded, and don't press them down when there is no note--or that the low notes are to the left and the high notes to the right. Kelsi in High School Musical is probably the worst on-screen fake pianist I have ever seen. It kills me.

The one part of the book that I found good was the final chase/ballet studio scene. Sadly, that part took up about 2 minutes of the movie, and created none of the suspense of the book. I realize why I liked that part of the book. Most of the book was like reading a play--all dialogue. The chase scene forced the writer to actually describe what was happening, and the characters finally shut up.

The scenery was great, and I must say the cinematography was marvelous. Kristin Stewart was a great Bella. But the screenplay had worse writing than the book. I felt like I was watching Star Wars Episode 3 with a terrible script, which George Lucas made worse by forcing the actors to underact--it was so bland and painful. I know that both Edward and Bella have much better acting chops then the director allowed them to use.

If there is to be a movie for the second book, I sure hope they can find a new director, and hire a different composer. But WOW! Isn't the Columbia River Gorge beautiful?

1 comment:

Batman Forever said...

Not my favorite movie. What I liked the least was the "running" and "flying" stuff. What terrible cinematography. I just wanted to laugh whenever it happened. But I have to say, what great kissing scenes. Great sexual tension between the two.