Monday, November 17, 2008

You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille

I am back from a long weekend in St. George. I had so much fun with Mark's cousins and aunts and Grandma. I love them all, and I can't wait to go back next November for some more fun.

While I was there, I got The Christmas Sweater to read on the plane home. It was so heart-warming. I loved the story, and its lesson about what really matters, and that it is never too late to leave the past behind and become something better. It seems like a long book, but it was a quick read, and I had it finished by the time I got home. I highly recommend it to everyone!

Thursday I had so many people who helped me out so I could get away early in the day. My friend took Zacky for me, and then drove him home when Aubrey got home from school. My next door neighbor picked up Savanna from Kindergarten and kept her there until Aubrey came home. Betsy was awesome and drove me to the airport, Barb picked me up from the airport (and took me back) in Las Vegas, another friend picked up Joel and Noah and took them to the dental office after school, our neighbor picked up Jake and drove him to his violin lesson Thursday afternoon, and my kids helped Mark make this weekend work without me. Thanks to all of you! I owe you all big time!

In St. George, I ate good food, laughed a lot, sewed school bags for an Eagle Scout project, shopped, baked cookies, stayed up way too late every night, and had the best time. My favorite part was getting to know Mark's cousins (or cousins' wives) better. They were all amazing, and I loved spending time with them. I miss you all!

Actually the best part was that Mark and the kids spent the WHOLE weekend masking off the basement trim for the painter today. He is spraying the trim, and it took 3 whole days to mask off the walls and floors. I bought my ticket months ago, and it just worked out timing wise that I missed that big project. Not the best timing for getting it done, because I could have sped things along if I had been here to help, and I feel a little bad, but at least I had fun! Mark joked when he picked me up from the airport that they did not sing "You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille" one time while I was gone. I'm glad I'm married to a Kenny Rogers fan.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a fun getaway!
Just how many people does it take to do Jill's job...MANY! You should come to Renae's book group about Christmas books tomorrow. I've been wondering if the book was good.

p.s. I loved the randomness. Ah, Indian food. MMM!

Anonymous said...

oh yeah, and that Mark likes Kenny Rogers, even I think that's random and I like country : )

nanadover said...

Orchestrating the care of all your kids is a big task all by itself! You deserved the break!
...and the painting....just chalk it up to bonding time with Dad! They will all appreciate you more in the future! When other projects come along, they will look to you with awe!