Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Animals


I'm not an animal hater. It's just that if I could go the rest of my life without touching an animal, I would be very happy.

I never ever wanted a pet growing up. In fact, when I would go to people's houses where there was a dog or cat, I would do my best to avoid the creature. We were pretty much a pet-free house growing up. Except for a short time when my brother Jeff got a parakeet when he was about 8. Well, there were 2 birds. Megan pointed out to me that I have the two mixed up--it's just one big yucky memory of having the bird in the house to me. One bird was named Houdini who came to an early end when a curious little sister tried to get him out of his cage, and another bird was named Pee Wee. I'm not sure which came first. Anyway, Pee Wee was a good and smart bird. He would sit on Jeff's shoulder all the time, and he would sit and crap all over the piano while Jeff practiced. Pee Wee loved Jeff. But the bird grossed me out. It's just a fact that I cannot deny.

My family got a dog after I got married. Misty was a cute little maltese, and a very good and very cute dog. She recently died after my family had had her for more than 16 years. I admit I got teary when I heard the news. While I never wanted to touch her, I did understand how much she meant to my family, and I thought she was the best dog a family could have. As Nancy said, "R.I.P. our 900 year old dog."

I know that I don't hate animals. I think most of them are beautiful. The majesty of the horse is incredible, and I think dogs are cute. Just don't make me go near one. My heart breaks for dogs that are kept in yards and are never played with. Our neighbors have 2 dogs that spend all year in the back yard, and I have not once in the 6 years they have lived there EVER seen the dogs go for a walk or be played with in the yard. It makes me sad. See, I'm not heartless.

Our kids will never have a pet. I know the old adage "Never say never," but I can guarantee we will not have a pet in our house. I have too many things to take care of with 7 kids without having to worry about if the dog got walked or fed today. I think they all know this deep down, because not once has one of them ever asked for a pet.

1 comment:

nanadover said...

Jill, I love animals, and for years, couldn't imagine life without them. What started as a "learning responsibility" adventure for my kids turned into one more chore for us to feed and clean up after. After my Dalmation died over a year ago, I decided no more dogs! Now we're waiting for our old cat to take "the final journey" so we can have clothes and furniture without cat hair. All I'll have left is about 16 huge fish in my back yard pond...and even they cause worry. Raccoons and Blue Heron love to visit, waiting for our backyard buffet to be unattended! (we keep a net over it at all times:)
No animals sounds like a better idea! And, I bet your kids will still grow up to be responsible adults!