Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Bad luck charm, part 4


I am not even sure what exactly I did in my life to bring such a curse upon myself. I don't remember ever walking under ladders, spilling salt, or breaking a mirror. But I've blogged before about how I can almost count on things that I order or buy being broken, damaged, or missing parts. That old bad luck fairy has struck again.

My long-awaited dishwasher arrived yesterday. I was so excited after two weeks of doing dishes "like Leave It To Beaver" as Savanna told me. Sears called Monday night to tell me the guys would be here to install it around 2:00 Tuesday. 2:00 came and went, and no word. Finally, around 4:30, I got a call that the guys were running way behind and that they would be at my house around 5:30. I didn't care--at least they were coming.

At 5:40 the delivery van showed up. The guys came in and uninstalled the piece of crap KitchenAid Superba. I was happy to see it leave my house. And then they went out to bring in the new dishwasher. I was watching for it to come through the door, and instead, only the guys came in the door. They told me they had unboxed the new dishwasher and it had 2 big dents in the door. I think they thought I would be upset. I just started laughing. I mean, seriously, why would something I ordered actually arrive without any damage?

They said they could hook up the old one again until a new one arrived. I told them that one was totally broken so that wouldn't be helpful. I was determined to NOT handwash all the dirty dishes I had been saving in the sink all day, so after a phone call to Sears, they decided to install the dented one and then order a new one which will arrive next week and they will swap it out at no charge.

After the installation guys left, (and they were very nice, by the way), we ate dinner and I gave the dishwasher a test. I put in my curry-covered dishes and glasses and pressed start. I had read and heard good things about this dishwasher, and they were all true! Every dish wash clean--even though I had put them in covered in curry and rice. Sparking, beautiful, clean dishes from a dishwasher--what a concept!

Now I just have to wait for my new new dishwasher that doesn't have a dented front.

1 comment:

nanadover said...

Well, dents are better then gunk! Keep chuckling about it. It sure beats ulcers!