Thursday, February 19, 2009

Haircuts


I learned how to cut hair on Abram. He was such a good little subject. I bought a pair of clippers at Costco when he was little, and I watched the video that came with it, and away I went. I was pretty good. Then along came Aubrey. Her hair took a little more effort than clippers. She did not ever like anything in her hair, so I kept it cut in a cute little bob. Basically I developed two haircuts I was a pro at--the buzz and the bob.

When we moved to our current city, we were in the middle of starting the practice, building the building it is in, and I was pregnant with Joel. I decided I should start having someone else cut the kids hair. This seemed like it would save me time, but in the end it was much more stressful. While one kid was getting his or her hair cut, the other kids were tearing up the salon. After about a year of this, I realized it would be not only cheaper for me to cut their hair, but also much less stressful, because the other kids were free to run around the house or yard while waiting for their turns on the stool. I haven't had any really bad mess-ups yet. Oh, except for when I accidentally shaved Zack bald about a year ago..... but at least he didn't care. See this post called Loser Mom for that story.

About 8 years ago, I bought the most excellent hair clipper. It's the Wahl Designer. It can buzz through 5 heads of hair without stopping. This past year, I needed some new blades, and I also wanted to buy the Wahl Peanut for getting around the ears and neck. I found the greatest website for buying clippers and other supplies (flat irons, blow dryers, etc.). It is www.beautybasicssupply.com. I was able to get the above-pictured all-star combo with the Peanut and a whole new Wahl Designer for the same price Sally was going to charge for the Peanut and blades only. I also bought a new flat iron recently on this website for much less than my stylist could get it at her "wholesale price." Oh, yeah. And they always have free shipping on orders of $40 or more! I love this website.

I just finished a round of haircuts last night. The boys are all good for another month now.

No comments: