Monday, July 13, 2009

Happy Camper


I'm back from girls camp. It was a very fun week, and I loved every minute of it. The camp was at a new location this year, which I thought was absolutely perfect. The food was excellent, as usual, and I'm so thankful to all the leaders who gave so much of their time and energy to make it amazing.

My group was the 4th year girls, and my friends Betsy and Jen were with me. We had a very energetic group, with a few moments of drama that 15-year-old girls naturally bring along, but they got along very well, and we had a blast.

The theme was "Bloom Where You Are Planted." Betsy, Jen and I knew that we needed not only a cute group name, but also a name that would provide easy and abundant opportunities for decorations and ridiculous accessories. We chose "Hibiscus Hotties" for our group name, and along with that came everything Hawaiian you can imagine. Betsy, Jen and I wore our head leis and kukui nut leis all week long. I made everyone in the group a lava-lava to wear around, and their nametags were, of course, leis.

The cabin was the cutest, and we were the beneficiaries of WalMart putting a ton of luau decor on clearance about a month before camp. We stapled a grass banquet table skirt to the roofline of our cabin and around our pop-up-shade, which made us look very tropical.

I took every opportunity I could to knit while I was there. Once I start, I can't stop. I also had to sneak home Thursday and bake cookies. Aubrey's birthday was Friday at camp, and she wanted Monster Cookies for her "birthday cake."

As much fun as it was, I was very excited to come home and see Mark and the kids. I missed them, and I am so thankful that Abram and Jacob did such a good job of babysitting the kids while Mark was at work each day. They made it all possible. I don't know what I'll do if girls camp and scout camp ever end up on the same week!

1 comment:

nanadover said...

I'm so grateful you were at camp Jill. Thanks for your support!
And FYI, usually, leaders try to arrange girls camp and scout camp so they don't overlap due to childcare/transportation issues!
(Thankfully!)
Thank your boys for me too!
It was a great week!
Hugs!