Monday, October 18, 2010

Ancient Chinese Secret


So, it's been a while since I've blogged. Pretty much the last time I blogged coincides with the beginning of soccer season. 3 kids in soccer is killing me. But the kids love it, so it's all good.

We've been to Utah for 12 days, started school, gone on a trip to Connecticut for a race, I went to New York, Jacob turned 14, and Abram got his drivers license. I know there are many pictures of all of these things on Mark's camera, but I have been way too busy to download them and shrink some down to be web-friendly. But I may get around to that today.

But first, I want to share a very special treat with you. Mark's brother Stephen learned this trick in China many years ago. It is the never-failed way to get rid of the hiccups. Seriously. I have never had this NOT work, and I've seen it work at least 100 times on many different people. Nobody believes it at first, but it honestly works.

The only tools you need are a medium-ish glass of water and a spoon or fork.
You put the spoon or fork into the cup of water.
Next, position the handle of the spoon so that it applies pressure to the very center of your forehead as you tilt the cup up and drink the water. By the time you finish drinking the water, the hiccups are gone.
Yeah, it looks stupid.

The size of the cup and spoon aren't critical, but they just need to work together so that you can get the pressure on your forehead while you are drinking. Apparently there is an accupressure point triggered that makes the hiccups stop. Or maybe not. But who cares? It works!

2 comments:

Katie said...

wow! i hope i (or someone around me) gets the hiccups soon so i can try it out. thanks jill!

Amanda D said...

I'll have to try that.
When someone around me gets the hiccups, I ask them what they had for their last meal and the one before that and the one before that until they can't remember. By then, the hiccups are usually gone.