Monday, October 18, 2010

Soccer mom


I have never been a soccer mom. With so many kids, I have been very hesitant to get anybody going on team sports. Because I can't just let one person play. It's got to be the whole crowd. The kids have begged for soccer for years. This fall, I finally consented, with their understanding that they might not make it to all the games or practices, but we'd make it work as well as we could.

So the end part of August the practices started up. Joel's and Savanna's teams have one practice per week. Noah's coach decided to have 3. I told Noah I was sorry, but he could only go to one. It has been absolute craziness getting the kids to their practices. They are all within 4 miles of home, but in different directions, and sometimes at the same time. The kids have been so sweet about understanding the complications of shuttling them around when they are supposed to be at different places at the same time. They are so happy to be playing soccer that they don't really care if they are late, or I am late to pick them up.

Add into that 3 games every saturday, and occasionally a weeknight game, and it has been absolute chaos. Our dinners have been not exactly ideal. But we love soccer, and that's all that matters.

However, I may be the only person with "trophy" issues. The teams are all collecting money for the kids to each get a trophy. I don't want to buy a trophy for my kid. I think a trophy should be earned and represent a great accomplishment. It's not a participation award. Like when I won a 1st place ribbon for my vegetable art project in 3rd grade--that was an occasion where I prevailed over stiff competition....or not. But at least I won. Or when I won 4th in my age group at a 15K last fall--that was something I actually was proud to have accomplished, and a ribbon was a great momento. Medals for training for and finishing a 1/2 marathon? I've got 4 of them, and I earned every one. But a trophy because you played on a rec soccer team for 10 weeks?

Do I rebel and not pay for a trophy? My kids don't need one more piece of junk in their rooms, and I want them to learn that you don't earn a trophy for just existing. Or do I cave and buy a trophy like all the other people do for their kids? Skip the post-season pizza party where they hand out the trophies?

This soccer mom doesn't know what to do.


2 comments:

Amanda D said...

I'm with you - I think it's lame! I've tried every season to get Natalie's coach to go for ribbon type medals instead of trophies but it hasn't happened. He wants bigger trophies every season. I cave every time though and buy the trophy.

I can't imagine having three kids in soccer. You're super woman, Jill!

troutdalite said...

SO glad to hear your opinion (and Amanda's!). After 16 years of soccer with three boys (luckily only two at a time), it will be interesting to hear what you decide! It was crazy, but the boys loved it and I would do it all again. As my sister-in-law (mom of 5) says, "no one will die if you have cold cereal for dinner"!