Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Gift for the guy who has everything

I bet he doesn't have one of these.  That's because it was just made available yesterday.  It's the Franklin Sensors ProSensor 710.

Mark's brother invented this gadget and has been working hard to get it in production, and another of his brothers is marketing it to get it out there where people can see how great it is.  So I thought I would do my part to spread the word.

We have all used a stud detector at some point.  Here's how it usually goes:  I need to hang something heavy on the wall, so I grab the stud detector out of the garage.  After about 20 swipes across a broad area on the wall, and 40 pencil marks trying to identify where the stud actually is, I put the nail or screw into the wall.  Sometimes, even with multiple scans and marking up my wall, I still missed the stud and then had an unwanted hole in the wall that needed to be repaired.

Here's how it went with the Franklin Sensors version last weekend:  I placed the sensor on the wall and three lights lit up in a row to show me exactly where the stud was behind the sheetrock.  No sliding it back and forth.  If you do slide it, then the lights change position on the display to still show you where the stud is hiding.   It really is a great product.  It would be impossible to miss getting a nail or screw into the stud using this ProSensor.  It's almost like cheating--sort of like x-ray vision for sheetrock.

Most detectors only have one sensor inside, but this one has 13 that all work simultaneously, which is why it is so accurate.  Also, with the wide display of 13 lights, the ProSensor shows you exactly how wide hidden objects are, and also will show if there are multiple objects behind the sheetrock.  No sliding back and forth, and instant accurate location of all hidden object makes for quick work of a project, and no additional reapair of unwanted holes made in error.

I had been hearing about this product for two years, and I was honestly skeptical that it would actually work.  But over Thanksgiving weekend we got to try one out on our walls, and it really was as great as I had heard it was.

It does cost a bit more than other sensors on the market, but nothing out there works like this does.   In my opinion, the accuracy and ease of use make it worth the additional cost.  I have never been able to use another stud sensor accurately.

I'm sure we all have someone on our gift list that is hard to buy for.  This ProSensor 710 would make a great gift for any guy--and even for some ladies who appreciate a good practical gift as much as I do.  Plus, while the kids are busy playing with their new toys on Christmas, the guys can have fun testing out their new stud sensor to see how it works.

Here'a link to the product on Amazon.  Just in time for Christmas!  Check it out.

1 comment: