Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Turkey time

So our plans have changed for Thanksgiving.  The party itself was always going to be at our house, but when I was going to be in the hospital with Joel, I planned a simple menu of ham and funeral potatoes, with Costco rolls and pies that Mark and his family could throw together without much effort.

But now I am here for the weekend, and we are having turkey.  I bought a jumbo 25-pound Butterball last week for $10 just because it was so cheap.  Now that big boy is sitting in a bucket of brine getting ready for the feast tomorrow.  I have never brined a turkey before--always wanted to, just never did.  We'll see if it makes a big difference.

I think I am also going to be a little crazy this year and make cranberry sauce!

Mark's brother is bringing Costco pies--which are Jill-approved baked goods, and his other brother is going to make fresh rolls at our house tomorrow, so that left me a little sad to not have  a big baking project.

So I decided we will make some gingerbread turkeys with colorful icing tonight.  I can't let this holiday go by without me baking something!

Now it's off to the dental office to pull down the Christmas decor from the attic for Monday, a trip to the bank and then the grocery store.

When the kids get home from school we will be off to our traditional day-before-Thanksgiving movie together.  I really want to see The Muppets, but some people want to see Hugo.  I was originally planning to be watching Under the Greenwood Tree on my laptop at the hospital today, which is what I would actually like to do instead of going to a theater.  I have a hard time sitting through a movie.  I need to move or do something while I watch--so much to accomplish in a day that I don't find it very fun or relaxing to go to theaters.  I'd much rather wait a few months and then watch it at home on my TV while I can sew, iron, knit or pause the movie while I get up and move for a bit.

There is one movie I WILL be going to see in theaters this holiday season.  No vampires for me.  This is the guy I'm waiting to see on the big screen.  Elementary.

1 comment:

Betsy said...

I love fresh cranberry sauce! It's so easy to make and the canned stuff is an abomination.