Friday, January 30, 2009

Blueberry Buckle


This recipe is great for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, mid-morning snack, brunch--whatever. I think it is better than any Starbucks pastry. Lots of carbs to kick-start your morning.

I have no idea why it is called a Buckle. I suppose I could google and figure out why, but I just know that it is like a coffeecake.

Sasha needed a recipe for a breakfast meeting this weekend, so I told her I would post this for her. Enjoy! Just don't tell Mark it has lemon juice in it. This is one of his favorite breakfasts.

Blueberry Buckle
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c butter
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 c milk
2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 c blueberries

Cream together butter and sugar. Add egg, vanilla, lemon juice and milk. Mix well. Sift flour, baking powder, salt together and add to butter mixture. Mix just until blended. Fold in blueberries. Spread batter into 9- or 10-inch square pan.

Make streusel topping as follows and sprinkle over top of batter before baking:
1 c sugar
2/3 c flour
2 t cinnamon
1/2 c butter
Cut into small pieces with pastry cutter or Cuisinart until crumbly.

Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. You can bake a thinner version in a 9x13 for 35 minutes. No matter which size, make sure the center isn't still gooey before you pull it out of the oven.

No comments: