Monday, January 26, 2009

Food aversions


In our family, there are a few no-gos when it comes to food. Some are logical (like mine) and other people's are not.

First, I do not like fish, or anything that ever lived in water. I can swallow a couple of bites of salmon now and then, but it's really just focusing on getting it down--no enjoyment. I used to like fish. At the Fish Lake cabin we had fish almost every night for dinner. Grandma Henrichsen had quite a knack for cooking it as I recall. But something happened to my taste buds around age 10 that forever changed how I feel about eating fish. It all just stinks to me.

I also do not like mushrooms--any type, any way. Yuck, yuck, yuck. Green peppers are another no. They poison everything they touch--you can't just pick them out. I love the flavor of onions, but I can't eat cooked ones if they are in big pieces--something of a texture issue. Same with tomatoes. I really like blueberries in baked goods, but I cannot stand to eat fresh blueberries. Other than that, I'm pretty much game for anything--oh yeah, except for game. Don't bring me an elk or a deer and expect me to be happy about it--or cook it.

Mark loves almost every food, except for citrus. The sight, smell and flavor of lemons, oranges, grapefruit are repulsive to him. He can't remember what trauma from his childhood created this citrus-phobia, but there must have been something. If we want to eat oranges around here, we have to sneak them in while he is at work--and at least a couple of hours before he gets home so that the smell can dissipate.

Abram doesn't like noodles--any kind. Or beans. Green beans are OK, just the black, pino, kidney ones he freaks out about. He will eat anything else. I mean anything.

Everyone else is pretty normal. I guess they figured out a long time ago that even if you don't like what I made for dinner, you might as well eat it because there is not another option aside from going hungry. The advantage of being the cook is that I can leave out mushrooms and green peppers and not have to look picky or go without dinner.

Last month for family home evening one night we sat down at the table with all the cookbooks and everybody had to find 20 things that sounded good to them. It was very educational for me--I have been stuck in a rut as far as dinner ideas. The kids found some really good recipes that I had overlooked.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

very funny post! At one point I had each of my guys (including Scott) cooking one night a week. I only had to cook 3x! You could work your way out of cooking any night, unless you want to avoid the yucky-to-you foods. I won't even tell you the recipe for one of my favorite lunches with mushrooms AND green peppers AND onions. It's not the cooking that is so hard...but the ideas. The recipe idea sounds great. btw Ian likes green beans now--mushed 'grown up' ones, not baby food : )

nanadover said...

It's interesting to read which foods other people like and don't like. Our two girls and Mikel and I love mushrooms. Our three boys have always hated mushrooms! They would try to pick the mushrooms out of cream of mushroom soup (who am I fooling... they still do as adults!). When my kids reached middle school age, they each had a day to cook. It was interesting to see what they would come up with! And the best part...if it didn't look very appetizing, Mikel and I could create a reason to "run some errands" and pick up something elsewhere. It worked great till the kids caught on:)
I enjoy reading your blog Jill!

Batman Forever said...

I'm with Abram. I hate beans, except green beans. I'm not a fan of mushrooms, or bitting on a big onion either. But my kids are too picky. I don't think there is ever a dinner that everyone likes. I've given up. They just have to starve.

Megs said...

Ha ha ha ha. Are we related or what? I hate everything you hate. SOMETIMES I can tolerate tomatoes.. but the stars have to be aligned for that to happen. :-)
Also, my mouth cannot swallow coconut or chopped nuts. I can eat a baked good (cookie, brownie, etc), and if it has coconut or nuts in it, my mouth will swollow the cookie part, and I can stick out my tongue and there is all your coconut/nuts for you. Weirdest thing you've ever heard, right? ;-P