Thursday, January 15, 2009

Sugar Cookies for Sasha

I promised my niece I would post this recipe on my blog. It is an old one also. I always loved Grandma Bs pink frosted sugar cookies. I desired to re-create such cookie perfection, and my freshman year at BYU I found a recipe that was very near to it, and required only minor tweaking.

These cookies are my most-requested, but I don't make them too often because of the extra step of frosting them. Once again, there is no secret--just follow the recipe. And a KitchenAid helps. They are the ultimate Valentine cookie!

Jill's Sugar Cookies
1 1/2 c butter
2 c sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
5 1/4 cups flour (add 1/4 cup at high altitude)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Directions:Cream cold butter and sugar in Kitchenaid fitted with paddle attachement. Add eggs and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients and add to butter mixture. Mix well. Chill dough. Roll out 1/4 inch thick and cut into shapes. Bake at 400 for 8 minutes or till barely set.

Frosting: 1/2 c softened butter
1.5 (approx) pounds of powdered sugar
milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
food coloring

I keep saying I'm actually going to measure my ingredients the next time I make frosting, but I never do. Just mix the butter, vanilla and salt, and add enough milk to make it turn into frosting. More powdered sugar, more milk, more powdered sugar, more milk. It works for me!

2 comments:

nanadover said...

Aaahhhh...sugar cookies...the ultimate cookie! My very favorite, next to oatmeal raisin!
Thanks for the recipe! I'll give it a try for Valentines Day, and compare it to my old standby recipe. I'll let you know what the results are!:):)

nanadover said...

I made a batch today for the fundraiser for my little niece. Mmmmmmmmgood! Thanks for the recipe!