Sunday, January 18, 2009

Go Eagles! or Jill is a cheapskate, part 2

Any of you who know our family know that we are not HUGE sportsfans. It's not that we dislike sports; it's just that we always have so many other things to do and worry about that watching sports on TV is not a priority.

The first year we lived in Nebraska, we invited some friends (3 couples) over for Sunday dinner. After church that day I cooked, made rolls, set up an extra table, and got everything ready for what I thought was just a usual Sunday dinner with friends.

When they arrived, it seemed that something was a little weird. They were acting off, but I couldn't really tell what was going on because I was trying to get dinner on the table. After we sat down and starting eating one of the guys said, "So, are we going to watch the Super Bowl?" Mark and I looked at each other and started laughing. We had no idea it was Superbowl Sunday! These people had assumed we had invited them over for a Superbowl party. We turned on the TV and watched the Superbowl and everyone was happy--but they knew we were dorks. No chips, no pop. Just Sunday dinner and the Superbowl.

Another good one was when Abram invited 40 friends over to watch the Oregon vs. Oregon State "Civil War" game. If you have read my blog for a while and remember the story, you can skip this. If not, click here for a funny story http://jillatoz.blogspot.com/2008/01/party-that-almost-wasnt.html

On with the story. I don't think we have watched an NFL game since we lived in Nebraska until this year. Mark's cousin Stewart Bradley is a linebacker for the Philadelphia Eagles. He is awesome, and our kids long to meet him. They even created a Stewart Bradley mii on the wii so they can pretend they are playing tennis or whatever with him. We have watched a few Eagles games on TV this year to see our cousin and his powerful tackles.

Of all of our kids, Abram is the biggest sports fan. He is a huge sports fan, and maybe the world's biggest Stewart Bradley fan--well, except for Mark's aunt and uncle. Anyway, I noticed that one of Mark's other cousins had purchased an Eagles jersey with BRADLEY on it, and I wanted one for Abram. Thanks for the shopping tips, Courtney! I found exactly what I wanted online, and used my cheapskate shopping skills to get a good deal.

Before I buy anything online, (I buy almost everything online) I go to http://www.couponcabin.com/ or http://www.retailmenot.com/ to find out if there are any online coupons I should be using. Today Sports Authority had a 15% off coupon for Abram's Eagles jersey, so that saved me $12 just for looking. Couponcabin.com almost always comes through for me. Check it out next time you're buying online.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Glad you found one - I love the online coupon places - I mostly use retailmenot - I'll be sure to keep an eye on the cabin too.