Saturday, October 15, 2011

A birthday party and I fix the refrigerator

All in one day....
.
Jacob turned 15 this last week.  He is such a cute and nice boy.  Jacob had no school on his birthday, which made a really fun day.  Zachary had designed a cake for Jacob on paper a couple of days before the birthday, and then he directed Savanna and Aubrey in making his creation come to life.  To quote Zachary, "It's even better than I imagined!"  Zack put the finishing touches of the legs and the 1 and the 5 on the lower part of the cake.  All I had to do was bake a cake mix and make some frosting!
 The cake was to be 2 shades of orange with a smiley face with arms and legs in the center and the number 15 on the bottom.
But before we actually got around to eating the cake we had a minor emergency at the house.


The refrigerator was leaking a bunch of water all over the kitchen floor!  Mark was soaking up the water on the floor and I was watching this huge volume of water run down the front of the fridge, down the grill and onto the floor.  I quickly pulled out the bottom drawer to assess the situation.  I could see that the drainage trough was completely full and pouring water out onto the bottom of the fridge, where it was then running out and onto the floor.  I saw the drain tube coming down from the trough and realized that there was just one phillips screw attaching it to the back of the fridge.  I figured that there must have been a clog in that tube.  So I quickly got a screwdriver and a popsicle stick and detached the drain tube.


At this point, the water on the floor was dried up and I had the repair under control so Mark switched from clean-up mode to photographer mode.

The tube was not clogged, but the drain from the trough above was.  So I grabbed a paper cup and set it below the drain, and then used the popsicle stick to perform a root canal.  A huge piece of black gunk came out and into the paper cup, along with about 10 ounces of water!

This picture is of me just after I pushed the huge black mystery gunk down the drain and into the cup.  Sick stuff.

Then we got on with our cake and ice cream.



 And opening presents.  Jake wanted some Pokemon stuff for his birthday...just like every 15-year-old. 
Now that Jacob had a pillow pet the kids decided they all needed to get their pillow pets for a movie party.  And so that's what we did.  Watched a movie...except for Abram.  His pillow made it, but he was off at the Homecoming dance at school.


1 comment:

nanadover said...

Eeeewwww! I hate black gunk in the refrigerator drain! It's almost as bad as a clogged shower drain...but not as bad as a clogged toilet! Good job repair lady! The party must go on! Happy Birthday to the birthday boy!