Sunday, October 23, 2011

Crafty Sunday


The kids spent the entire day cutting paper and coloring all kinds of things. Our house was a disaster.

I made these cute gingerbread mummies this afternoon while I pretended I could not see the happy and creative mess the kids had made all over the kitchen table.  
And then tonight at bedtime Abram needed a quick project made for AP lit tomorrow. For extra credit he could carve or decorate a pumpkin or other fall vegetable to resemble any major character from literature.  When he asked me which character he should pick last week I thought Captain Ahab would be the easiest choice. I didn't know it was due tomorrow....

You may remember that I won a first place ribbon in 3rd grade for my vegetable art project. At my elementary school it was a big deal and almost everyone created something fantastic from all sorts of vegetables.

So tonight I came up with this great vegetable art project for Abram: 2 potatoes attached with a chopstick and another chopstick for the peg leg, forks for arms and a clove for the eye. A ponytail elastic and some black paper made a perfect eye patch.  A little black yarn and some hot glue were the finishing touch to make Ahab's hairy head and chin.

Hopefully Abram's teacher likes it as much as he does.  What we won't do for 25 points of extra credit.

No comments: