Friday, December 14, 2007

My nephew Cletus


Jon and Ellen had a baby boy this week, and I had some inside info that they were likely going to choose the name Zachary. Well, the little guy was born, and Jon sent everyone an email saying that they had named him Cletus. Somehow I didn't think that name compared with Zachary, and I figured he was up to some sort of joke. But still there was that little part in the back of my mind wondering. I kept waiting for the email saying "JUST KIDDING" to come, but it didn't.


My son Joel was reading email over my shoulder when I had Jon's email up on the screen about baby Cletus, and Joel started laughing his head off. Then he ran around the house yelling, "Good news everyone! We got ourselves a hillbilly cousin!"


If you don't know, Cletus is a red-necked hillbilly from The Simpsons.


So Jon's brother started sending around some very, I'll just say, DIRECT email about the perils of naming a boy something like Cletus, and suggested some other less-frequently-used names that would be just as horrible. Others were discretely contacting him to let him know that it really wasn't adviseable to name a baby that. Jon kept a straight face through it all and stuck to his story that it had been Ellen's grandpa's name.


Meanwhile Jon, Ellen, and the nurses at the hospital were laughing hysterically each time they read a new email from some well-meaning relative who really believed that they had chosen that name for their baby son.


Finally Jon sent out the real email, and they did name their baby Zachary after all.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Welcome to the blog-isphere. I've already learned quite a few new things about your family from your few posts.

kristy said...

we knew it had to be a joke, too. Josh found out from Sue that it was.. otherwise I don't think he would have been quite so blunt!