Thursday, September 4, 2008

Back to school

Today I had 6 kids in school. It was very odd. Even stranger than that, is that now, and for the next 10 years or so, I will have a high-schooler, a middle-schooler, and an elementary-schooler, or some combination of all 3. Crazy. To make things a little more interesting, Abram is going to a high school not in our district, but still only 3 1/2 miles from our house. It's a fantastic school, and we are all just so happy that they accepted him as a transfer.

His school reminds me so much of my beloved Skyline High, "Fair alma mater to thee we are true, ever we praise thee, gold and the blue....." Even the same colors! Another similarity is that choir is cool there, and so is the debate team. Just like my high school.

Jake is enjoying middle school so far. He is a happy boy to be out of elementary school. Such a handsome guy, and so dang sweet. He is excited for Outdoor School coming up in just a few weeks. He has also learned the valuable skill of mowing lawns. Good times!Aubrey is tolerating her schedule. Her happiest moments at school are when she TAs for our favorite teacher ever. Our middle school has a dearth of elective options. Let's see. There's drama (again), choir(not a chance), or technology--again. Hmmmmm. I'll take TA. No foods, home ec, woodshop, metal shop, or any of those middle school staples.
Joel and Noah love their charter school, or as Noah likes to call it, their "smarter school." They were up at 4:00 this morning in anticipation of school. They couldn't wait. Joel had a special surprise for him. His wonderful 3rd grade teacher moved up to 5th grade this year, so he knew he would have her for math. But then he learned that they were actually going to take 4 4th graders and keep them in the 5th grade room most of the day, so he gets to be with his beloved sensei for this year, too.
Savanna got silly-girl stagefright when she was entering her classroom this morning. It was like she couldn't believe it was real. She just couldn't make it through the door, and she giggled nervously. Finally she went in, and her whole world changed. She is a school girl now, and she loves it.

Zack and I had a great morning cleaning bathrooms and folding laundry. We got all 4 bathrooms clean, but it took extra long because Zacky was my helper. He sure was proud of himself, though. I'm going to have to figure out a new system now that I am his whole entertainment committee.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm loving all the Canada pictures of the kids. It's so beautiful. I'll have to borrow Zacky when you need to clean your bathrooms to entertain Ian while I clean my bathrooms! I can come get the high chair on the weekend if you'd like--name a time. Happy back to school!