Monday, September 1, 2008

O, Canada!

I really like visiting Canada. Banff and Jasper National Parks are truly the most beautiful places on earth. I must say that my favorite place is still the Valley of the Ten Peaks at Moraine Lake. The ten peaks are so unbelievable, and they just all line up one right next to the other. You can't get over how amazing one mountain is, and then you realize there is another right there next to it! And in the middle of all of this the electric blue/green water of Moraine Lake.
We hiked one day to Eifel Lake which is at the far end of the amazing Valley of the Ten Peaks. It was a grueling 1 1/2 miles up steep switchbacks, and then another 2 miles along the edge of the valley to get to this lovely little lake right beneath Eifel Mountain (the 9th of 10 peaks). From Eifel Lake you look back down this beautiful valley at the peaks and the lake, with a meadow of wildflowers all around you, and really nothing could be more beautiful. Especially when people you love are in that meadow with you. I actually pushed the jogging stroller up the mountain for this hike. It was the hardest thing physically I have ever done. Here's a picture of me as I made it to the top of the steep uphill section of the hike.
We then marched along the trail to the end of the valley where we all sat down and enjoyed some much-needed water and snacks. It was unforgettable.
Just one of our adventures in Alberta. More posts to come, and many, many more pictures.

4 comments:

Batman Forever said...

111/2 miles? And your kids did it too? Amazing. That doesn't sound like my kind of vacation. I would want some kind of transportation to get to the top to enjoy the view. Good for you, you little hiker.

Megs said...

WOW!! That looks amazing! Looking at those pictures makes me want to stand up and twirl while singing "The Hills Are Alive"... Did any of you do that? I'm glad you're back and had a great time!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful place! It's so great that you and Mark have raised a family of hikers. Looks like you traded the double for a single jogging stroller. Did Savanna make the hike?

Jill said...

Only 7 miles! 3 1/2 up, 3 1/2 down. The view was definitely worth it. And yes, I did my best Maria Von Trapp impersonation and sang "The Hills Are Alive...." The kids thought I was crazy, but I couldn't help myself. I knew that if Betsy was with me she would have joined in with me.