Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Trading spaces

We have listened for the past 2 days to the pounding of drywall going up in the basement. It already looks so different down there. I found out yesterday that our washers and dryers were shipping today, so they should be here in about 2 weeks. I need to hurry and figure out my flooring and wall colors for the laundry room so we can get that done quickly after the drywallers are finished mudding and taping next week. I have no laundry facilities right now, because EVERYTHING is out of the basement. We put a big taped X on the laundry chute doors so that nobody accidentally throws anything down into the abyss. I may whet my appetite for my new set up by going to a laundromat this week!

In the middle of this all, we decided to paint the main floor of our house this weekend. After 6 1/2 years, the walls are pretty worn. 9 people can do a number on walls. We decided to paint now, because our new furniture will be here in a couple of weeks, and we want to have it done before that comes. So as if having everything from the basement crammed into bedrooms and the main floor wasn't crazy enough, we will now have everything from the main floor in our bedroom. Since we have no bedroom furniture, it won't be too big of a deal.
Mark's aunt Judy asked me last fall what style our house was decorated in. I told her "student ecclectic, and minimalistic." Basically none of our furniture matches, and it is a total hodge-podge of various things we have purchased or been given along the 16 years we have been married. We actually bought 2 nice leather sofas 12 years ago when Mark got out of dental school, but they have seen much better days. I've scrubbed them to death. I got a very beautiful sofa of my grandmother's, which is so comfortable, but it was ONE sofa, and we have 9 people. I love it very much, and we will move it to the basement when the new couches come. Anyway, I will be happy to tell Judy next time I see her that we finally have a style, which I believe is "traditional." I'm definitely not a contemporary gal.
So after our painting project this weekend, we will paint the basement next weekend, and then get some flooring down to get some things moved back in. I'm toying with the idea of doing the tile myself. It seems like something within my abilities. Have any of you done tile? Am I dreaming? My desire to do it myself is partially fueled by my desire to create, but more so by my desire to save money.

4 comments:

Batman Forever said...

I have tiled the counter tops, which took a long time and are in no way the same size of project you are talking about. It will take forever and all those cuts you'll have to make? Aye yie yie!!! I wish you luck.
So excited to see how everything will look when you are done. What an eventful summer you've had. New basement, upstairs, and yard. You're a lucky girl.

kristy said...

i've always wanted to tile, but i'm sure it is a lot of work.. especially if you have a little zacky helper. by the way, i'm in town for a few days and i'd love to see you guys!

Anonymous said...

Hearing about the projects all going at once makes me tired! You're amazing...but then you probably already knew I was in the Jill fan club ; )

Megs said...

You should talk to Scott about tiling... He just finished tiling his upstairs bathroom from floor to ceiling... Bleh...