Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Downsizing

It is strange to be at a point in life where we are downsizing. For so many years it was one more thing for one more kid. Zack is our Z, and so it is strange to be giving away clothes and toys that we will never need again. The crib is gone, the bouncy seat, the teething toys (the high chair is ready when you are, D)... I could go on. It is actually quite liberating to be getting rid of things rather than trying to find a place to store them.

One thing I never thought I'd be rid of was a double stroller. I had a double baby jogger which I used to take Zack and Savanna on my walk/run route, or just for a walk to the park. It was great, but it was a beast. 17 pounds of a stroller, and 70 pounds of kids inside of it. Getting out of our neighborhood was the hardest part.

Before we went to Canada, I sold the double stoller on craigslist, and purchased the single-wide version. Baby Jogger has a new Q series, which actually folds up more easily than you can even imagine. I accidentally purchased the Q rather than the regular one for my friend's baby shower group gift, but once I saw the folding in action, I knew I had to have one for myself when Savanna went back to school. Because I am cheap, I waited patiently for REI to have another "20% off of one outlet item" sale, and they had one just in time for us to get the stroller before our trip to Canada.

It's a good thing. With Savanna starting school tomorrow, I will no longer need two seats for little munchkins to accompany me on my walk. Tomorrow will be a big downsizing day. I've always had 2 or 3 (or 4 at one time) pre-schoolers with me during the day. Tomorrow Savanna goes to Kindergarten, and it's just going to be Zack and me. I am very excited.

No comments: