Thursday, October 30, 2008

A nightmare

Last night Zacky woke up crying. He has what I call "night terrors." Every now and then he'll be screaming, kicking, crying and I can't hold him because it hurts! All I can do is let him lie down on the carpet and do his kicking and screaming. Sometimes it lasts an hour. He's not awake, but not asleep, so there's nothing I can do. And then some random thing will snap him out of it, and with a drink and a hug he's back in bed asleep.

He had a night terror last night. He didn't want anything, and was kicking and hitting so much that I had just let him work it out on the floor while I was lying on the couch trying to talk to him. After about 30 minutes, he calmed down enough to say through is sobs, "No watch anymore. No watch anymore" I repeated, "Zacky no watch anymore?" He said, "Yeah. No watch anymore." Then he walked over to the blu-ray player (in the dark), pushed the eject button and removed the disc that was in there. By the way, the TV and blu-ray were off, and hadn't been on since that afternoon. I told Zack thanks for the disc, and said, "Zacky is all done watching. Do you need a drink?" He jumped into my arms, gave me a huge hug, I gave him a drink, and he went back to bed.

At first I was stunned by this bizarre end to the night terror. And then I realized that Zack had had a scary dream, and he thought he was watching it as a movie. My boy is smart enough to know how to end a movie--just push the open button. He sure is a descriptive boy who always uses his words so get what he wants. I never would have figured that one out.

2 comments:

Batman Forever said...

Isaac used to have night terrors. I felt so bad for him, but they eventually went away, and didn't last as long as Zach's seem too. Hang in there. Sorry Zachy.

nanadover said...

My kids used to have night terrors also. I would turn their pillow over and tell them that I was "changing their dream channel". It worked almost every time. I think the cool side of the pillow would wake them up enough to calm down. Who knows!
Good knews!--I promise,-- he will outgrow it by the time he leaves for college:):)