Thursday, March 13, 2008

...And you don't mess around with Jill

One of my favorite tunes from the 70s is from Jim Croce. "You don't tug on Superman's cape. You don't spit into the wind. You don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger, and you don't mess around with Jim." Just put my name in there for now.

Tonight I had a very crazy experience. I pulled up into our driveway after picking up Abram from wrestling practice, and I heard a sad noise. It was SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. My tire was leaking air, and I was watching it deflate. I came in the house and called Roadside Assistance. They told me someone from a certain local car service would be at my house in about 40 minutes. An hour later, a really scary guy was at the door. I went outside and unlocked my car so he could get the spare tire out. I noticed that he was wasted. He couldn't walk a straight line. He couldn't form a coherent word. And boy, did he stink!

I came in the house and called the police. I told the dispatcher what was going on, and she kept me on the line until he turned his car on to leave. The police had to wait until he was actually driving to do anything about him. When he left, she thanked me and hung up. About 20 minutes later I got a phone call from the owner of the car service company thanking me for my call. The guy was high, drunk, and driving with a suspended license! Oh, yeah. He got fired, too. They impounded his car, and he is spending the night (and a few more nights) in jail. Hee Hee. Anyway, the lady was very appreciative that I had the sense to turn him in.

Yes, it is scary because he knows where we live. But he doesn't KNOW that I turned him in. He just thinks it was a random traffic stop. I couldn't NOT turn him in, because who knows what he could have done while driving under the influence.

By the way, that's the second drunk driver I've sent to jail. The first one was about 12 years ago in Nebraska. She spent a year in jail, and had her license permanently revoked. DUI, hit and run, no insurance, suspended license. That was a good one, too.

2 comments:

Irishmama said...

So, tell us........did he do a good job fixing the tire?

Jill said...

To my surprise, the spare tire worked fine all the way to Les Schwab for a repair. I guess being high doesn't affect your ability to use a hydraulic floor jack and a lug-nut wrench.