Monday, March 31, 2008

Who said Laundry Day isn't exciting?

I was in the laundry room this morning doing my usual Monday laundry thing. Only this time I decided to clean the laundry room while I was at it. It was pretty dusty, and things had just been shoved into the room and not put back on shelves where they belonged. I started to remove a pile of old backpacks that had fallen from the shelf when somebody wanted the one on the bottom of the stack a while ago. Underneath the stack was a mousetrap--with a very, very dead mouse squished in it.

I have no idea how long it had been there. I always keep a mousetrap loaded up in there, as we find a couple of mice every year in our house. It could have been weeks! I quickly picked up the trap and threw it away, and dumped some bleach on the floor. I ran the trash bag outside, and came back into the house.

Zachary followed me down the stairs. He is getting very big, and very smart. We had a stack of 3 boxes high blocking Zachary from the non-kid-friendly part of our basement. I went into the laundry room to finish up, and then Zack was right there with me. He can power this stack of boxes now. It's time to raise it to 4!

Anyway, I was organizing the shelves, and then I heard Zack say, "Mama, where Go?" I turned around and his hands were out at his sides with his palms up. I said, "Zack, where DID it go?" He walked over to the wall and pointed. Our laundry room has 2 washer/dryer hookups. We only have one set right now, so there is a square on the wall waiting to hook up an additional washer/dryer. Zack pointed to the black drain tube that a future washing machine will use. He had put that sleek, brand-new phone I had just put in the laundry room so I didn't have to run up the stairs like a maniac when the phone rang right down the drain pipe. Now when the phone rings I can hear it inside the wall--for now, until the battery dies. So now I've got to figure out some way I can snake something down there to grab the phone and pull it back up.

And that was all while the first load was in the washing machine. Who can tell what other fun we will have today--the stack at the bottom of the laundry chute was up to my head today.

No comments: