Thursday, March 27, 2008

A trip to IKEA


I took the kids the other day for our first trip to IKEA. It opened in Portland sometime last year--probably more than 6 months ago. We had never been, but it was a good day for an outing.


What a wonderland of cheap and useful items! The kids all had a blast, and we found some very practical things for their bedrooms. I have been looking for something to help the kids keep their school papers and library books somewhere besides the kitchen counter. The rule at our house is if you leave it on the counter, it will disappear and Mom is not responsible for anything that gets thrown away or recycled. Twice this year Joel has been looking for homework, and it was nowhere to be found.


IKEA had these great wall baskets. 3 per rack, $19.99 each. I let each kid write his or her name with fabric paint (I wish I had done this myself because they look a little crazy now, but I just tell myself that the personalization will help them feel some "ownership"), and hung them in the stairway to the basement. Each person can keep important papers or books in his or her box rather than on the counter or shoved in a kitchen drawer. So far so good. I think I'm going to go to Walmart and get some silver spray paint for the metal frame. The black is OK, but chromish- silver would be much better. What were those IKEA designers thinking?

No comments: